Applications for Bursary Intake Programme are now open and will close on 27 October 2023. No late applications will be considered.
Purpose and objectives
The department offers bursaries to previously disadvantaged individuals and people with disability who are South African citizens and have successfully completed their first year of undergraduate study or those who are currently registered for postgraduate studies. However, strongly motivated applications from first-year students within the above mentioned fields of study will also be considered.
The Department of Forestry, Fisheires and the Environment (DFFE) programme to achieve the following objectives:
- Enhance youth development
- Develop a culture of high quality lifelong learning within Department of Environmental Affairs
The DFFE provides bursaries in the following fields of study:
Fields of study and reference numbers
Biodiversity and Conservation (Ref No: B&C/01/24)
Diploma/Degree in Heritage Studies.
Degree / Hons BSc Biological Sciences
ND/ Degree / Hons in Nature Conservation
ND/ B Sc /Hons Environmental Science
BSc Environmental Science
Natural Resource Management, Geography and Hydrology.
Environmental Resource Management, Hydrology and Water Resources Management.
Environmental Management/Science, Nature Conservation
Chemicals and Waste Management (Ref No: (CWM/0124)
ND/ B Tech/ B Degree/ Hons/ Master: Monitoring and Evaluation
ND/ BTech/ B Degree/ Hons/ Master: Environmental Science
B Degree/ Hons/ Master: Natural Science (Geography, Chemistry, Hydrology, Water etc)
B Degree/ Hons/ Master: Information Science
ND/ BTech/ Hons/ Master: Waste Resource Efficiency/ Circular Economy
ND/ BTech/ B Degree/ Hons/ Master: Environmental Management
Sustainable Development Studies
B Degree/ Hons/ Master: Waste Management
Climate Change and Air Quality Management (Ref No: CCAQ/01/24)
BSc/ND Environmental Science
BSc/ND Environmental Management
ND/B Degree Earth and Environmental Sciences
ND/B Degree Natural Science
ND/B Degree Conservation
BSc Geography, Archaeology and Environmental
ND/B Degree in Sustainable Development
Environmental Programmes (Ref No: EP/01/2024)
BSc Degree Environmental Management/ Environmental Science
BSc Hons Geographical Information System
ND in Project Management.
Study fields linked to Conversation, Resource Economics, Development
Studies and Social Innovation
B Degree/ ND in Civil Engineering
B Degree/ ND in Environmental Engineering
B Degree/ ND Building Management and Quantity Surveying
B Degree/ ND in Architectural Studies
Fisheries Management (Ref No: FISH/01/2024)
BSc/ MSc/ PhD : Oceanography/ Marine Biology/ Environmental Science/ Aquaculture and Fisheries
National Diploma/ BTech: Oceanography
BTech/ BSc Hons/ MSc/ PhD: Fisheries modelling/ stock assessment/ fisheries management
Post-Graduate studies in Social/ Economic studies specialising in fisheries
Maritime studies related to harbours/ ports
Post-Graduate studies in Agriculture Economics specialising in aquaculture
Forestry Management (Ref No: FOR/01/2024)
Diploma in Forestry
Advance Diploma in Forestry Management
Honours in Natural Resource Management
BSc Forestry and Natural Resources
BSc Wood Science
MSc/ PhD in Forestry
MSc Forestry and Natural Resources Sciences
Diploma/Degree in Environmental Law
Regulatory Compliance and Sector Monitoring (Ref No: RCSM/01/2024)
LLB (Major courses administrative law, legislative drafting, Environmental Law)/ LLM
Diploma or Degree in Paralegal
Bachelor of Environmental Sciences (majoring in Animal and wildlife)
BSc in Chemistry
BSc majoring in Geography, Geoinformatics
Bachelor of Environmental Management majoring in Environmental Impact Assessment
Oceans and Coasts (Ref No: OC/01/2024)
BSc Biodiversity and Conservation Biology
BSc Marine Biology
BTech Engineering (Electrical/Mechanical/Communication)
HONS/Masters (Maritime studies/ Maritime Economics)
HONS/MSc (Chemistry-Heavy metals/Hydrocarbons)
HONS/MSc (Ecophysiology/Taxonomy(Systematics) and Biodiversity)
Masters/ PhD Marine Natural Resource Economics
PhD (Physical/Chemical/Biological Oceanography)
Important information to note
General instructions and order of application documents:
- Bursaries are awarded to individuals that are registered as fulltime students with the institution of higher learning or currently doing Grade 12 (Matric) and not employed.
- Please indicate clearly on the application form the reference number and the study field.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Correspondence will be limited to successful applicants only.
- If you have not been contacted by end of January 2024, please accept that your application was unsuccessful.
- Successful applicants will be expected to sign a bursary contract.
- No faxed or emailed applications will be accepted.
- Students who have previously participated in the public service internship program are ineligible for consideration.
- Upon completion of your studies, participation in the internship program is mandatory as part of the bursary contract agreement.
- It is important to note that regulations prohibit participation in the program more than once.
All applications should be accompanied by the following documents:
- Motivation as to why the bursary should be awarded to you.
- Certified copies of qualifications and recent academic records
- Certified copies of identity document (applicant and both parents or guardian)
- Proof of registration (if already enrolled with the institution of higher learning)
- Latest Grade 12 results (if currently in High School)
- Proof of parents or guardian's income.
- Proof if parents are deceased.
- Affidavit if parents are not working.
Enquiries and delivery of applications:
The Director-General | Attention: Learning and Development (Bursary Section), Department of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment, Private Bag X447, Pretoria, 0001
Department of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment, Environment House 473, Steve Biko Street [Cnr Steve Biko and Soutpansberg Road], Arcadia, Pretoria.
For enquiries contact:
Tel: 012 399 8682
Cell: 067 417 3739
Tel: 012 399 8685
Cell: 066 156 0042
Tel: 012 399 9018
Cell: 066 081 2662
Private Bag X 4390
Department of Forestry, Fisheries and Environment, 63 Strand Street, 13th Floor, Nedbank Building, Cape Town.
For enquiries contact:
Tel: 021 402 3329
Cell: 081 492 5570
Tel: 021 402 3412
Cell: 071 540 2685
Tel: 021 814 8089
Cell: 066 081 9858
Closing date: 27 October 2023