We as humanity continue to consume the earths’ resources at ever increasing and unsustainable rates. This serves a course of rapidly accelerating trends of environmental degradation and climate change globally, which threaten to undermine existing and future developmental potential and opportunity.
As a result of these increased national awareness of these risks and threats to development in South Africa, environmental considerations are being mainstreamed in development policies across the economy. The Constitution of the Republic of South Africa empowers us as a sector and the Department of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment (DFFE) continue to endeavour for the full realisation of the right to an environment that is not harmful to the health and well-being of South Africans and all those who live in our country.
As the sector and the department, we aim to radically transform our approach to environmental protection, while also balancing it with socio- economic development – crucial pillars on which sustainable development rests. As a nation we adopted the national development plan, which maps out the vision of the country for the 20 years ahead. In the environment sector, we will implement related aspects of the priority areas that deal with environmental protection and sustainable development.
Also in our quest to achieve the millennium development goals, particularly environmental protection and poverty reduction, we continue to promote various initiatives that galvanise unprecedented efforts to make South Africa a better country for all who live in it. The department therefore aims to provide leadership in environmental management, utilisation, conservation and protection of ecological infrastructure.
A prosperous and equitable society living in harmony with our natural resources.
Providing leadership in environmental management, conservation and protection towards sustainability for the benefit of South Africans and the global community.
Driven by our Passion as custodians and ambassadors of the environment we have to be Proactive and foster innovative thinking and solutions to environmental management premised on a People-centric approach that recognises the centrality of Batho Pele, for it is when we put our people first that we will serve with Integrity, an important ingredient in a high Performance driven organisation such as ours.
- We are passionate about our values and we live them in our day-to-day activities
- We are dedicated to our work and go the extra mile
- We show pride in our mandate, mission and vision
- As custodians and ambassadors of the environment we render quality service to the SA public
- We build and promote an energising and inspiring work environment
- We assertively promote and advocate our standpoints, messages and reputation
Purpose: Provide leadership, strategic, centralised administration, executive support, corporate services and, facilitate effective cooperative governance, international relations and environmental education and awareness
- Equitable and sound corporate governance
- Value focused funding and resourcing (leveraged public and private sector investments)
- Adequate, appropriately skilled, transformed and diverse workforce
- Secure harmonious and conducive working environment
- Strengthened leadership and embedded DFFE culture
- Efficient and effective information technology systems
- Improved profile, support and capacity for the environment sector
- Effective partnership, cooperative governance and Local Government support
- Enhanced sector monitoring and evaluation
- Strengthened knowledge, science and policy interface
- Effective knowledge and information management for the sector
- Enhanced international cooperation supportive of South African environmental /sustainable development priorities