Groen Sebenza Phase II: call for two years' internships
Status of availability
Purpose and objectives
Allowance / stipend
Procedure and information to apply
Introduction and background
The Groen Sebenza Phase II: call for two years' internships is now closed. No late applications will be cosidered. The information provided below is therefore for advisory purposes upon the opportunities available and offered by the department.
The DFFE, Branch Biodiversity and Conservation is working with the South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) to strengthen efforts towards creating a cohort of young professionals to combat environmental challenges, including capacity building and awareness raising. The Groen Sebenza (GS) Phase II Programme is a bridging into work programme funded to the value of R300m for the next three years. GS Phase II aims to recruit 1050 unemployed graduates (diploma – PhD level) and place them nationally in different organisations (government and non-governmental) where they will be incubated (trained and mentored) to further develop their competence and confidence in the management of environment/biodiversity.
Groen Sebenza Phase II Programme goals
- Enable workplace-based learning for graduates aimed at building and strengthening their capacity at various levels.
- Creation of job opportunities and possible permanent placement beyond funding.
- Transformation and organisational strengthening - strengthen different organisational development aspects including transformation in its totality, mentoring, proactive skills and planning to better respond to organisational mandates and other national priorities.
- Research informed - through research, develop a ‘live’ skills intelligence system that will enable the sector to proactively plan for skills development and track and trace the utilisation of the developed skills.
Allowance / stipend
Pls. note: No other benefits apply as these are internship positions. Successful candidates will be required to cover the cost for their own accommodation and transportation to and from work if necessary.
Procedures and information to apply
General instructions and order of application documents.
- Applicants must be South African (SA) citizen(s).
- Young unemployed and *underemployed professionals between the ages of 18 and 35.
- Innovative, dynamic and creative.
- A commitment to career development in the environmental / biodiversity sector.
- Must hold qualifications mentioned in table.
- People with disabilities are also encouraged to apply.
- Candidates holding higher qualifications than the ones stated may apply, however only remuneration stated per field will be applicable.
- Youth residing around protected areas are encouraged to apply.
* Underemployed refers to youth employed in any sector than the one they studied for as per the above listed fields.
Applicants are required to submit the following documentation when applying:
- One-page letter of interest – this is not a reference letter but letter of interest/motivation letter.
- Your letter should indicate why you should be considered for the internship, the area you wish to be placed (Head Office or SAWC – Hoedspruit), and the protected area you reside next to if necessary.
- DFFE reserves the right to place you where capacity is required, considering the number of personnel required per area).
- Detailed CV/ resume with contactable references.
- Valid certified copies of highest qualification/academic record / transcript (certified copies should not be older than six months).
- Certified ID copy (certified as a true copy and should not be older than six months).
|The DFFE in partnership with SANBI is pleased to announce a call for applications for incubation in the following fields:||Other important information to note|
Enquiries and delivery of applications:
Applicants are required to indicate the location they wish to be placed at on the subject line when applying.
Applications must be dropped in a box marked GROEN SEBENZA PHASE II INTERNSHIPS at the reception.
Enquiries should be sent to: email@example.com.
Mr Prince Ramafalo
Mr Fhatuwani Nevondo
Closing date: CLOSED FOR 2022 INTAKE
» advert will be made available once a new call has been announced.
[back to top]